
"Sarah Said, 17, and her sister Amina, 18, were killed on New Year's Day.Also an 18-year-old woman was flogged to death in Bangladesh,for "immoral behavior,” In Egypt, a father paraded his daughter's severed head through the streets shouting, ‘I avenged my honor.’” May these girls souls rest in peace.
The Human Rights Watch defines "honor killings" as acts of violence, usually murder, committed by male family members against female family members, who are held to have brought dishonor upon the family. A woman can be targeted by (individuals within) her family for a variety of reasons, including: refusing to enter into an arranged marriage, being the victim of a sexual assault, seeking a divorce—even from an abusive husband—or (allegedly) committing adultery. The mere perception that a woman has behaved in a way that "dishonors" her family is sufficient to trigger an attack on her life.
At first, like most of the population, I thought this type of killing was associated with religion. But I had the nerve to confront one of my good friends, who is a Muslim and very religious, about these killings; He told me “honor killing has nothing to do with religion” He explained; “its just culture, and I think these cultures really needs a good education”I believe it is time for these cultures to know that “honor killing” is killing a lot of innocent women and even men
No comments:
Post a Comment